The Palo Alto Lawn Bowls Club is a member-based organization. Dues-paying members have access to all events and amenities that the club offers — from bowling in draw games and tournaments to attending socials. The PALBC is a community within a community.
FIRST STEP toward gaining membership
- Drop by the green on a Sunday afternoon at 1:30 (weather permitting), and a coach will be there to get you started.
- Or, you can schedule a free lesson with either John Hickson 650.367.9499, J.Hickson@sbcglobal.net, or with Terry Hogan 650.329.9098, firstname.lastname@example.org, at a time convenient to both parties.
- Or, if you are interested in a group lesson, you can sign up through the city’s recreation department or directly with the club for the Bowling Blast which is usually offered twice a year, in spring and in summer, and runs for five consecutive weeks. There is a small fee for the Bowling Blast.
APPLYING FOR MEMBERSHIP
- When you and your coach determine that you are ready to join the club, fill out an application which you can get from your coach.
- Turn in your application to your coach along with payment of dues.
- Your application and dues payment will be passed on to the membership chair to present to the Board of Directors at their monthly meeting. You will be notified of your acceptance.
- You will receive a key to the gate.
- You will receive a name badge.
- You will receive a membership packet of information.
- You will get a draw-game-board name chip.
- You will receive the monthly newsletter WICKS.
- You can participate in any and all of the club’s activities.
- You can come to the green and practice on your own.
- You will have use of club bowls until you are ready to purchase your own.
- Regular membership entitles you to participate in all club activities.
- Dual membership is for an individual whose primary membership is with another club. Dual members can bowl/participate in Palo Alto’s draw games, tournaments, socials.
- Junior membership is for a student 18 years or younger.
- Associate, or non-bowling, membership entitles the member to all regular benefits except for bowling.
- New member: $155 which includes a first-time cost of $20 for badge and key. There are reduced fees for new members who join in the second half of the year.
- Renewing membership: $135 a year payable on December 1 for the coming 12 months.
- Dual and Junior memberships: $80 a year.
- Associate (non-bowling) membership: $30 a year.
You can make dues payments on the Payments page.